Sunday, June 03, 2007

In Keeping with the Recent Themes...

Since I seem to be a big fan of both being a tourist in your own town and the pursuit of the free thing lately - this weekend I managed to combine the two with a trip to the High Museum.
Admission is free the first Saturday of the month if you live in Fulton County - a very cool perk that not many people seem to know about (and one, I'll admit, that I usually forget about...until the second Saturday - at which time I hit my head and say "doh!")

I wanted to make sure that I didn't miss the Leibovitz exhibit (which is here until early September) and I was also particularly interested in Ghiberti gates from the Florentine Bapistery (which are only here until mid-July.)

Both exhibits were phenomenal, and exceeded my expectations... If you can, I'd say get over here and see 'em before they're gone. Either one is well worth the price of admission on its own - but together? Amazing.
The Louvre exhibit is still going on as well, but we chose to save that for another day...

Here are some of the high points* of the trip...


For starters, I think that the actual buildings of the museum are gorgeous.
Truly works of art in their own right...

HIgh Museum
High Museum
Atrium Ceiling - HIgh Museum

HIgh Museum Atrium - High Museum


Then, of course, there were the exhibits themselves. I had high hopes for both, and was still amazed beyond my expectations.



Perhaps the best part for me though, was getting to spend a leisurely day with my boys - and to see them get to enjoy the museum as much as I did. I am often dragging them both to see things that I think we should see; to do things I think that we should do. They're always good sports about it, but I am often aware that they're really only doing it out of a sense of duty. But I think that everyone had a good day at the museum...

Schecky

Schecky Explores the Lichtenstein House Schecky Explores the Lichtenstein House
Schecky explores the Roy Lichtenstein house.



Bubba attempts to explain "Modern Art."

Bubba Attempts to Explain Modern Art...


But Schecky's not so sure about it at first...

Schecky's Not So Sure About Modern Art

But after a little more exploration...
"You Mean, *I'M* the Art???" Becoming One With the Art

... he decides it's OK.

Particularly after we find the kid's area - where he can create to his heart's content...
Creating Their Own Art




*No pun was intended. I just caught that upon proofreading, and decided to let it stay. I just can't help myself...

17 comments:

Renee said...

Looks like fun. It makes me want to go museuming. Maybe on vacation . . .

Anonymous said...

looks like fun. I always loved being an art school student and spending breaks between classes in teh art institute of chicago. The dossiers (sp?) would bring the groups of kids by and seat them infront of a famous modern painting. There was nothing on the canvas, it was essentially blank. The dossier would ask the kids what do you think this is all about. I would listen intently. Thse kids owuld have the wildest stories...and to think the canvas was essenially bare (a russian constructivst i don't remember) and they had the most fantastical stories as to why and what it was all about. I always enjoy the art museums more when kids are around.

laura capello said...

gah. schecky's getting so big.

Sarah and Jack said...

Ok, the photo next to the giant lips is too cool.

Oil Cloth Junkie said...

Oh, looks like you and your guys had a wonderful day. You gotta love the museums and especially when it's free.

3 to get ready said...

Yay! What fun! It's always interesting to take kids to the art museum.

And I didn't know about the free Saturday thing. Too bad we don't live in Fulton Co.! :( How did they keep track of which county you lived in? So glad you're taking advantage of the local sights!

Big Pissy said...

I've been wanting to go there. Didn't they have a Chocolate Exhibition there a year or so ago?

Either way....thanks for posting this...it reminded me that I still need to go there. :)

rohanknitter said...

Looks like a great day. You're right, that building is amazing in and of itself. I drug all my men to the Art Institue of Chicago a year ago - it was the only major Chicago museum the boys had never been to. We did a quick tour of highlights and they were mildly interested. (And then they were rewarded with a trip to the Lego Store.)

Anonymous said...

Freaky!!!! I was at the Annie L. exhibit Saturday late afternoon.


Did you happen to see the woman on the super high heels that were red with white polka dots? I so wanted to take a photo of her shoes but couldn't figure out a way without being obvious.

Your museum shots turned out much better than mine did! What an overcast day.

Rebecca said...

oh i love the High. Haven't been in years, but it's always High on my list of things to do in Atlanta. so glad you had a great time with your menfolk! great photos.

LLA said...

Big Pissy - I so need an email address for you!*

And you're right - there was a chocolate exhibit, which I totally missed. I'm bad, bad, bad about having good intentions and then missing out... which is what I'm about to do with the Titanic exhibit if I'm not careful...

========================

*I'm kingsportgrrrl [at] yahoo [dot] com

Big Pissy said...

Ohhhhhh...'Titanic' exhibit? When does it leave?

I'm: free2pups@yahoo.com :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with capello - Schecky looks so big in these photos. Your boy is growing up fast.

I saw a Leibovitz exhibit in Australia ten(?) years ago and it was amazing then.

A wonderful day to treasure, for sure. :)

Kat said...

Wow neat stuff. See it is fun to bring the camera ;)

Leah said...

I love the high!!! Such a great museum & it looks like you guys had a blast!

Anonymous said...

!!!!! I didn't know Fulton county residents are free on first Saturdays!! Now I REALLY have to go!

How can you skip the Louvre exhibit?! I get excited just thinking of how many centuries that art has lasted!

LLA said...

Christina -

did not have an email address for you, but wanted to confirm that - YUP! Free the 1st Saturday of the month for Fulton residents... woohoo!

And - as much as I wanted to see the Louvre exhibit, I did have two boys (one big, one small) with limited museum tolerances... Besides, there's always the NEXT first Saturday, right????