Friday, February 09, 2007

WIP Friday - 9 February

I am typically not much of a Valentine's Day kind of girl*. So I am not sure where I got this bee in my bonnet all of a sudden to start dinking around with heart shapes. And to start doing it at the last moment...





I'm not sure what, if anything will become of these, but I've had fun playing around with them this week...

Other little nibbly random bits to share....


  • Thank you all for all the "feel better" wishes. I am starting to feel vaguely human again. I give a large part of the credit to Autum.
    Please pardon the crassness of what I am about to say, but it appears to be the truth: I think she literally scared the snot out of me.

    She told me the horrible story about how sinus infections can get into your brain and do scary, terrible things. YIKES! (and it's totally true - I Googled it! Admittedly, it's rare, but it can happen... Who knew???)
    Anyhow - she scared me enough that I resolved to call the doctor if it wasn't immediately better. And I woke up the next morning greatly improved. I work well under pressure....

    It's nice to be able to touch the left side of my face without screaming, and to be able to chew again...

  • Panda Update - well, I've not had any more luck with a sweater for her. And I suspect that my new found interest in hearts is a nice procrastination technique so I can delay tiny-sweater-making even further.

    In the meantime, I am warming to the way that she looks with only her scarf.... I do have one last sweater making attempt up my sleeve - but if that goes the way of all the previous attempts - I may just sew on her limbs and call it a day. The scarf is kind of cute...

  • Laundry Update: I finally got around to trying the vinegar instead of fabric softener trick... I think that I am a fan.

    The novelty of fabric softener has not yet worn off - I do love the way that it makes everything smell. But, I've not wanted to use it on the towels, since I've heard that it messes up the absorbency. So, I've been using a quarter cup of white vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser when I wash towels.

    The towels do seem to come out nice and fluffy, and with no vinegar smell. (Although, there is a slight smell of vinegar in the washer after running one of these loads. It's very faint, though, and disappears after I run the next load...)

    I've heard that it's good to put vinegar into the dispenser periodically, so as to clean out any fabric softener buildup. I'll definitely continue to use vinegar with the towels - and as my love affair with fabric softener exits the honeymoon stage, I could see me doing this for all the laundry.


Look at me - dispensing homemaking tips??? I feel so Martha. Or Heloise. Or something...

Have a lovely weekend, all!




*You can read my thoughts about the holiday here. They've not changed since last year....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

ark. human? oh, feel better soon. please! your hearts are sweet. maybe, and this is just a thought, you can stiffen them with starch and sell them to the strippers as pasties? maybe add tassels to them.

serendipitous that vinegar came up in conversation at my house yesterday, too. ian carried chili in his soup thermos. then he washed it, but he said it still smells like chili. somewhere? he found info about swizzling vinegar in there to take away the odor. oh, i know, something in the paper, about natural cleaning methods. of course, lil' know it all me said "yep, vinegar and baking soda are two of the best things for natural cleaning." you see, i have the knowledge, but i don't apply the knowledge. i'm keeping my fingers crossed that the cleaning fairy will pop in one day and help me out.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are feeling better.
I like Bekka's idea for the hearts.
Strippers need to stay warm too.

laura capello said...

hmmm... i wonder if apple cider vinegar would work. or rice vinegar.

damn white vinegar, being made of wheat and all.

Anonymous said...

Oohh... maybe we could use those hearts to cover a belly dance bra. Just a thought.

Glad you're better. And if my vote counts for anything, I like panda in scarf just fine. ;)

Cheers!

MéLisa said...

Glad to hear that you are on the mend!

I vote for the stripper pasties!

I might be wrong, but I think that if you mix the baking soda & vinigar you get a volcano, no? Like in Jr science class...

shizzknits said...

Glad you're feeling better and are on the road to recovery.

We use only vinegar for softening in our house. We have very hard city water so fabric softener just turns everything gross after a while. And none of us are fans of the smelly chemical softners. :)

I like the hearts, very cute!

African Kelli said...

yay! So glad your week is turning around. Those hearts are cute. If you knit them in cotton, they'd make great wash cloths.

Anonymous said...

As always, you are a total hoot.

And, Bekka's comment on the hearts???!!!!!HAAAAA! I'm sitting here at my desk dying with laughter.

I do like the hearts, though (as a Valentine's decoration, not as dance apparel). Maybe I can convince my sis to knit some for me.