Monday, January 22, 2007

Banishing the Blues...

It seems the today, January 22nd is Blue Monday – the "Unhappiest Day of the Year".

I may have found a way to combat this…


Today was a day of puttering, and cleaning, and the continued purging of the too-much-stuff that we seem to have…

As I started tidying, I came across one of my favorite presents that I received at Christmas… a tiara.

I have been asking for a tiara for years now. Every time Bubba asks me what I want for birthdays/anniversaries/etc.
I usually reply, "I dunno. (pause) A tiara."

Which always leads Bubba to inquire, "Just what exactly do you want with a tiara, anyways?"

I reply, "I dunno. (pause) I just think I need one…"

Each gift-gifting occasion came and went - and no tiara. I think Bubba was reluctant to encourage any additional "princess-like" behavior on my part. (I have been accused of being high maintenance… If you can imagine that...)

So - in December, when I once again put "tiara" on the GimmeGimme list, I didn't really think much of it. At this point, it's kind of become a habit.

Imagine my delight when, on Christmas Day, I unwrap the shiniest, sparkliest tiara of my dreams.


I was elated.

Then I thought, "OK - what exactly did I need with a tiara?"
So - it got packed up with the rest of the stuff we brought home with us from Tennessee, and I hadn't given it much thought.

Until I stumbled back across it today, whilst puttering.
Do I dare?

Apparently, I do.
I wore my tiara all morning as I went about the cleaning drudgery.
All the while thinking things like "Vacuuming sucks.* But it sucks less with a tiara on." "Dusting the blinds is the worst job ever. But I'm wearing a tiara…"

(Seriously, it just takes that little to amuse me.)

And while I doubt that I will wear a tiara every single time I toil around the house, it is an experience that I highly recommend that everyone try.

At least once**.

Just remember to take it off before you go pick up carpool…



*did you see what I did just there?

**The only thing better than a fabulous tiara? A fabulous tiara at a great price. I highly recommend ebay seller cutebride - she's got fabulous stuff, many listed at "Buy It Now" for under $10. Or you can do a traditional bid and aim for even less. I think Bubba got mine for under $6!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, fair Laura! What a lovely adornment for your regal self. And I wish my vacuuming sucked more - I think I need a dyson. ;)

African Kelli said...

Awesome. I think I would crack myself up cooking and cleaning in an apron and tiara.

MéLisa said...

Ah hahahaha! Thank you for brightening my day (am trying to make it the last 2 hours of the workday without passing out on my keyboard). I actually wore a tiara when we got married maybe I ought to dig that sucker out for when I vacuum! Bawahahahaha! Get it sucker! Ha ha ha! Thump….ZZZZZZZZZZZ

Anonymous said...

I wish my vacuumed sucked. :P

The bluest day huh? That explains my mood then. I love your tiara and so glad you finally got one. Whatcha gonna ask for next year?

3 to get ready said...

Yay for the tiara! I say, go with whatever works. And that's a gorgous one!

I am just now commencing the cleaning/puttering for today, but I'll be wearing my new iPod! I've found that I clean much faster and don't get distracted as badly when I'm in my own little musical world.

I just have to be careful that my song stylings don't conflict with whatever PBS Kids show my kids happen to be plugged into....

Putter on!

beki said...

I can just imagine you cleaning house weaing a tiara! Fabulous!! Perhaps I should get one for stair climbing? (which didn't happen today) Instead, I spent the bluest day waiting in line at the social security office (no less than 2 hrs) only to find out that I may not have sufficient documentation, but it isn't my fault.

Anonymous said...

You have such a pretty tiara. Alyssa has a couple, I may have to borrow one tomorrow and crown myself queen of the sparkling toilet bowl.

Miss Bonkers said...

It was the first week back in Georgia after our year-long Arizona adventure. I was super busy unpacking when a sweet little stepdaughter ask in her best big girl voice, "When will we be all moved-up? I want to invite you for tea." Of course (after only a few deep breathes to find my patience), I put on the tiara she handed me , and followed her upstairs.

That tea party seemed to be the point at which my stressful morning became peaceful. I got the rest of the kitchen unpacked, and met tons of new neighbors as I took load after load of packing trash to the dumpster while my little hostess napped. I even had a homemade lunch prepared when Michael walked in the door.

He told me about his new coworkers, I told him about our new neighbors. "They were all so friendly. Why, it was kinda like it brightened their day to meet me."

"I'm sure it did. Your probably the only 30 year old princess on the block."

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT!!! That is great. I think that I need a tiara now....

Mama Said Sew said...

I have a tee shirt that says "I didn't ask to be a Princess, but it the tiara fits...."

Hope you have many enjoyable hours wearing your tiara!

Anonymous said...

oh man this is funny cause i've too often asked for a tiara for a gift.
and i am by means even close to being girly. BUT i tell nat it would be fun to just wear it around for no reason really other than well it's a TIARA!
i'm glad to see other people have these fabulous ideas, and then they actually get to wear one!

i think grocery shopping in one would rule. Also pumping gas.

laura capello said...

i NEED a tiara.

MeiMeiLn said...

Oh, I do that, too! I have my tiara from my wedding and I wear it every year on my birthday. I also wear it any time I feel sad and esp. when I'm cleaning the house! I love yours; it's so pretty! I also give them as birthday gifts. Every girl needs one.

Sarah and Jack said...

Oh man, this cracks me up! I am going to wear my wedding tiara the next time Jack is driving me insane and see if it helps. LOL

Anonymous said...

i thought my daughter (2) needed one. i think i was wrong. i need one. maybe we both need one. :-)

Anonymous said...

my youngest has several tiaras for dress up, and yes, I have been known to wear one on occasion. :)

My husband complained to my folks the one year that they always got us presents that sucked. In a three year span we got a vaccum, a dustbuster and a carpet shampooer. So I totally got the sucks comment. Lol.

Anonymous said...

wow. you are so cool! you and your tiara. so glad santa finally brought you one.

Nerissa Alford said...

I LOVE this post. I too have a tiara facination. I just had to smile when I read this post. I'm getting ready to write my own post and I've linked back to your story!Thanks for sharing.
Nerissa

vtmama said...

It is extremely nourishing to discover that my desire to have a tiara (almost all my life) is shared by others. Now I know I must have one! I also like the idea of it being a present, somehow it seems wrong to buy one for myself! I wonder how many years I will have to ask for one?

Unknown said...

I'm merely a random person, browsing through google's search results for ideas for my wedding, and I think your tiara is gorgeous.. $6 you say? Impossible! Nothing that pretty could be so cheap! You must be the queen of housekeeping. Best of luck, your highness. ;)