Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Ramblings from a Recovering Preschool Teacher*...

Well, it's sinking in, people...

Yesterday morning, as the Scheckster and I were sending Bubba off to work (would it be wrong to interject a Nelson-from-"The Simpsons" style laugh here??), he turned to me and asked "Are you and Scheck ready to start the first day of your summer?"
And I stated, somewhat dramatically (for effect), "My summer? My dear, I am ready to start the first day of the rest of my life!" Then I dissolved into hysterical giggles**...

But really, it's kind of true. The last several summers I've always known that in X number of weeks, I would be returning to work. Now, it's kind of open ended. Which is very exciting...

I have found myself, the last few days, checking out what it is that people do and wondering "I wonder if I would like that?" Hopefully, this is just a phase, as this could get old, fast.
Yesterday, Scheck and I went to a storytime at the local BigChainBookstore (we just happened to wander by at the right time on our way to Target.) The reader was not particularly good, and I found myself thinking "I wonder what it would be like to work here?" Then today, when we stopped by the pharmacy to pick up some more vitamins (our preferred brand being on good sale this week) I found myself eying the pharmacy tech and thinking "I wonder if she likes her job?"

Isn't it interesting that I am not pondering going back to law school, or med-school - or trying to score a high level executive position? I'm eyeballing basically slightly-better-than-minimum-wage jobs. I would say that my days of stress and striving and trying to dazzle you with my greatness are gone, Daddy, gone! Viva le Average!

When I am not imagining myself in another person's job, we're taking it pretty easy around here.
We've been to the pool twice this week (which is actually good for us, some years we only manage to go 3 times all season!), and we've run a few little errands each day.
I've done a ton of reading, but nothing really great (largely best-sellery/thrillery/beach booky kind of stuff), a little bit of knitting, and I am trying to see just how long I can ignore that increasingly scary tower of laundry before:
A). Someone gets hurt when the laundry avalanche occurs
or
B). We have to venture out in public wearing nothing but paper bags and a few strategically placed leaves to cover our nakedness because nothing else in the house is clean....



*This being the other snotty way I have been referring to myself as of late. ("Trophy Wife" being the first....)

**Which is understandable - I stayed up past my bedtime last night to see my boyfriend. It wasn't the best episode I've ever seen, and it was probably very confusing to new viewers, but I do think that it kicks off a very promising season...
Also, I was delighted to see commercials for Morgan Spurlock's 30 Days documentary series, and the comedy It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Both shows are returning and should begin new episodes in the upcoming month. I had forgotten how much I enjoy the F/X network....

4 comments:

laura capello said...

Yeah, thanks. I dreamed of chain-smokers last night. Thanks a lot.

You sound like me, I think it would be a GREAT job to tell stories to little kids and unload books onto shelves. That or work in a scrapbook or fabric store (think of the discounts!).

LLA said...

ooooh - yarn store employee! I hadn't even thought that far but probably only because I haven't been to a yarn store in the last little bit!

Anonymous said...

Now I am going to be thinking all night about what job would be fun for you to do.

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm totally with you! Wahoo, Viva La Average!!!
I reckon it would be cool to work in a thrift shop - just think, you get to pick all the stuff as soon as it arrives! Hell yeah!