Friday, April 14, 2006

Movie Friday...


Today was an impromptu "Movie Friday" - according to the calendar, I'm not due for a Movie Friday until next week. But sometimes you just gotta break the rules...

I went to go see Thank You For Smoking and I really, really enjoyed it. It was quick, it was witty and ever-so snarky. And I enjoy that in a film, I truly do. I cackled out loud numerous times. Which was totally fine, 'cause I was the only one in the theatre. Which was fun. And sort of odd...

There were a number of familiar faces in it, and with only one exception, everyone was outstanding. Aaron Eckhart, Maria Bello, William H Macy, Dennis Miller, the list goes on - all did wonderful jobs. I even truly enjoyed Rob Lowe. The kid (Cameron Bright) was good - I didn't recognize him from anything, but suspect we'll see more of him.

My two favorites, perhaps, were JK Simmons, because I pretty much always love him, and Adam Brody who absolutely stole his scene.
I started to say, he should have been given more to do, but it was probably wise to keep the part so small. A little of "Jack" goes a looong way!
The icing on the cake was a teeny tiny appearance by Connie Ray, whom I have loved ever since she played the spunky, but strong matriarch on the short-lived series The Torklesons.

The one low spot in the movie is, sad to say, Katie Holmes. And please, don't think this is just knee-jerk TomKat bashing. I loved Joey Potter, and I thought she did a great job in WonderBoys and Go. And an even better job in Pieces of April. And it wasn't so much that she was horrible, I just didn't buy her as her character - it wasn't a good fit somehow. And even though her character is part of a huge turning point in the film, her performance didn't detract from the rest of the movie - it was just noticeable that she didn't fit in....

Next week is a scheduled Movie Friday....Brick? Friends With Money? Anyone?

No comments: