Sunday, April 23, 2006

Lovely, Lazy Sunday

Today has started off quite satisfactorily. I got up early and went for a nice long walk with one of my neighborhood girlfriends.
It's funny, I absolutely hate getting ready to walk, I kind of like the actual walking, and I just love having gone for a walk.

Then I returned home to spend a leisurely morning. As I was puttering about in the kitchen, I noticed that there's a whole slew of honeysuckle threatening to overtake the western side of the deck. I have no idea where that came from, or how long it's been out there. As I've admitted before, we rarely ever go out into, or even pay much attention to, the back.

Since it was such a lovely morning, I decided to drag a kitchen chair out there and spend some quality time with the crossword, and the other "fun" sections of the paper.
An excellent decision if I may say so. The weather was stunning this morning, a slight breeze, high 60's, sunny with a few puffy lil' clouds. It's still too early in the season for all the bugs to show up yet, so no beasties or long legged ghoulies were trying to suck my blood. And the smell of honeysuckle wafting around - amazing.

The crosswords were quite rewarding this morning, and I completed them both without having to cheat. (Usually, the NYTimes one requires some peeking, or at the very least, some Google help.) I then moved on to the "Art & Books" section and read a lovely review of a book I would just love to own: The Encyclopedia of Appalachia.* Just as I was sitting there, basking in the glow of completed crosswords and the anticipation of a newly released book, I thought to myself - "Could this morning be any more perfect???" Which is usually the moment at which something goes comically, cosmically awry - the universe smiting me for daring to question. Instead, and here I kid you not, the sound of bagpipes begins to drift through the air.

I know, I know - many of you might think that the bagpipe sound was my punishment from the cosmos - however, I actually love the sound of bagpipes. Weird, I know, but there it is.
I just sat quietly and listened. And that's a big deal for me, because there is not a lot of stillness in my life. The music didn't last long, maybe 10 - 15 minutes or so, and then ended as mysteriously as it began.
It doesn't get much better than that, folks.....


*Even though I am craving this book mightily, don't be looking for a review anytime soon. It's a big ole book (1,800+ pages) with a hefty price tag. However, Bubba if you are reading this, it is on my Amazon wish list. And I've got a birthday coming up. Admittedly it's not for months and months, but it is coming up!

1 comment:

laura capello said...

I was a little concerned when you said the honeysuckle was taking over the deck... like it was a bad thing.

And who *likes* getting ready for a walk? Urgh.