Monday, January 30, 2006

Nice Weekend

Well, yesterday's post was a mammoth one, so I thought I'd not attempt to tackle anything more... a little overwhelming, no? But the weekend overall was a gorgeous one, and we did some fun stuff.

On Saturday, we (Bubba, Schecky and I) drove up the road a spell to visit Tanglewood Farm.

Oh.... My..... God.....

Imagine, if you will a small "town" filled with miniature farm animals. That's right - minis! 'Lil cows, donkeys, goats, ponies, pigs, sheep, llamas....even a 'lil buffalo! And, of course, the only thing better than tiny farm animals is baby tiny farm animals. We were lucky enough to get there while their January "Baby Fest" was still going on. There may be something cuter than a baby miniature pig, but I'm not sure that I know what it is. (And that's saying something, because as a rule, I am not a big fan of the pigs. Honestly, my affection for the pig pretty much stops at "that's some good eatin' right there....")

Anyhoo, I took a ton of pictures and as soon as I figure out how best to share, I will do so. Any recommendations, anyone? Host 'em here? Flickr and then link to here?

Anyway - I have managed to resist the lure of the baby mini-pig, but I must admit to a certain degree of covetousness toward the mini babydoll sheep. Wonder if there is enough grass in my urban postage-stamp-sized yard to support a sheep? Sure, it's a small yard... but it's a small sheep, too?

I took lots and lots of sheep pics. I loved their little facial expressions - going to have to do something sheep-related. Maybe knit one. I suspect there will be lots of too-precious sheep doodles in my future....

The weather remained freakishly nice on Sunday as well, so we spent some time out in the green space near the house and attempted to teach Shecky how to catch/throw a baseball. Bless Scheck's heart, he doesn't stand a chance.... both his parents are blessed with the athletic ability given to quahogs.... Fortunately, we all have a god sense of humor about this sort of thing...

The "catching lesson" soon disintegrated into a pecan hunt. There are a few huge pecan trees left in the green space (although, there used to be about a dozen, now there are two left) and oddly enough, no one came around and gathered them up. Typically in the late fall, you will see cars drive up and groups of people will hop out with their pecan sacks and completely gather them all up. I guess that with only two trees, they don't seem worth anyone's time?

So - we ended up gathering a huge sackful! Which made me feel all Martha Stewart-y, and "live off the land"-like. Plus, pecans are totally expensive, so, hey - free food! Of course, this means that I'll be stuck shelling nuts for the next two weeks....

No comments: