Monday, July 30, 2007

Let Them Eat Quiche!

edited to add: I ate one of the leftover slices of this for lunch the next day.
It. Was. Awesome!
I think I like it even more cold on the second day! YUM!!!





Crabmeat Quiche, originally uploaded by lla.

Today did not start off in a promising fashion... I desperately needed to go grocery shopping, as there was nothing edible in the house. However, I was feeling wildly uninspired. None of the usual meal suspects sounded appealing; yet I had no new ideas.

Just as I was pondering if I could get away with serving PB&Js for dinner for the rest of the week, I spied the recipe for Crabmeat Quiche courtesy of Kim at Vintage Pretties...

"Hmmmmm, " I thought. "This could be good..."

And it was



Kim presented this recipe with the statement that she's never met anyone who didn't love this quiche. How can you go wrong with that? So decided to try it.

I'm glad I did - it really is quite good! Of course, I did mess about with it just a tiny bit, since it seems that I am incapable of preparing a recipe as it is written.

Instead of the called for can of crab (my grocery only had 6 ounce cans, and I didn't want to skimp) I used 8 ounces of claw meat that I found at the Seafood Counter. I also heaved a pinch of dried mustard and a few drops of Tabasco in there as well. Mainly because I think just about any savory egg-based dish tastes better with those two things.
(Oh - and in an embarrassing moment in which I reveal just exactly how WT I am, I must confess: I didn't have any mayonnaise. So I used Miracle Whip.* Don't judge me too harshly...)

It went together very quickly, and easily - and was a HUGE hit with both Bubba and Schecky. Kim, you are right - it's definitely a keeper.

I'll be making this again, for sure. But, me being me, I'm already trying to think of ways to guild the lily... As good as it was, I'd like to add something to it to make it more rustic, a little less rich. The wheels are turning.... what to add? what to add?

Asparagus seems the logical choice. 'Cept none of the three of us are big asparagus eaters.** Artichoke? Hmmmm - perhaps too assertive? That might overwhelm the crab. Spinach? Sun Dried Tomatoes? I definitely want to add some color, and some texture - just for fun...

It will be fun to see what this evolves into. Thank you, Kim!

Dinner...


I served this with just a simple salad that was tossed with a Cajun French Dressing and some blue cheese! Yum!
(Although, I took the above picture before I dressed the salad...)




*As a side note - I think that part of my adult fascination with Miracle Whip is that we *never* had it when I was a child. My mother thought it was trashy. It always seemed somewhat mysterious and forbidden. And now - I pretty much always have some in my fridge. Again, don't judge... :)

**Again, for me, blame this on my mom. Sadly she didn't think asparagus was trashy. So she served it often and I hated it. There are some really traumatic recollections from my childhood that involve being forced to sit at the table, staring at 3 lone asparagus stalks, long after everyone else had been excused - only to be allowed to leave when I either ate them, or it was bedtime. If I didn't eat them before bedtime, they would re-appear on my plate at the next night's dinner. Ugh. Traumatic, I say. I *can* eat asparagus now, but I prefer not too...

16 comments:

Me and Him said...

We always have Miracle Whip in our fridge. Hubby prefers it over real mayonnaise.

I like asparagus though, it's one of my favourite veggies.

I'll have to get my mother in law to try out the crabmeat quiche. They get fresh crab every week or so, and fresh prawns. They spend the weekend out on their boat crabbing and prawning. She does wonderful seafood meals. It's all lost on me though, I'm allergic to it all.

revel designs said...

I'm having flashbacks of cooked carrots. the recipe sounds good. i don't do canned seafood, so i'll try your version. enjoyed reading!

Anonymous said...

Oh the horror! Miracle Whip? Where's the Dukes, Cookie?
I guess I will let you get by after reading about your childhood asparagus trauma. I'm gagging a little thinging about eating 3 cold lonely spears of asparagus.

normanack said...

I'll go back to your childhood and eat the asparagus off your plate if you go back to my childhood and take the Miracle Whip out of my mom's fridge.

laura capello said...

your mom thought miracle whip was trashy? but you were raised in tennessee! it's in the state rules that every house must have a jar of miracle whip, whether you used a refridgerator or a cellar!

Fill said...

I had the same leftover nightmares about forced asparagus eating. But, I learned to like it about 6 years ago. Now, I love the stuff. You just have to do it right.

Anonymous said...

I grew up on Miracle Whip. What is Mayo, I ask?

And your asparagus experience rivals my stuffed pepper experience, although I was served it cold for breakfast. Ew. Slimy green peppers still make me want to puke.

But the quiche looks lovely. I vote for spinach. It goes with everything. And if it's good enough for Popeye....

beki said...

Oh my, that looks delish! I think I would add a little something to it too, but I don't know what.

My grandma used to eat mayo on asparagus - gross!

African Kelli said...

Um, you weren't surprised when the claw meat turned out way better than the canned stuff -- right? That plate looks so good I am drooling!!

Anonymous said...

Really? I never knew Miracle Whip and WT were associated. Maybe that means I'm WT??? LOL. We grew up with MW in the fridge and we're from "out west." Thanks for sharing the quiche, it looks yummy. I love asparagus. Er, I used to. One day my MIL told me that is makes your, ahem, urine smell bad. Like stinky gym socks. And eeewwww, it does, so, knowing that smell will be coming soon, kind of takes away from the pleasure of eating it. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, my recipe showed up on someone else's site!! I'm so excited! By the way, you totally could have just used the 6 oz. can of crab & it still would have been great.

I have a few things that my mom wouldn't let us have that I still think about...jiffy pop in the foil pan that you shook over the stove...anyone remember that? Spray cheese? Lets see what else?? Gosh, there was a plethora of gimmicky foods in the 70s!

Chara Michele said...

I had no idea Miracle Whip was wt... I hate real mayonnaise and will always pick Miracle Whip.

I am a vegetarian, so crabmeat quiche wouldn't really be my cup of tea. Still I love other kinds of quiche and we eat quiche every so often in our house. :) My husband loves eating quiche cold the next day too. He thinks it tastes better that way:)

Rebecca said...

miracle whip? trashy? uh oh. bet you didn't get hamburger helper, either. oh well. did you say CRAB? i love crab, but am not a huge fan of quiche. but your quiche looked so puffy. i just wanted to stick a knife in the center and see it pop! as if quiches do that sort of thing.

rohanknitter said...

Wow that looks and sounds sooooo good!
Happy Bday to your boy! My youngest will turn nine in Feb - sob! And happy bday to you!! I tried to leave a happy bday comment days ago(from the computer at the library!) but it just would not let me. We finally have internet but part of me expects it to disappear at any moment. They finally sent out the only non-FW they had and he was able to get us up and running.
Now to try and catch up! (and that sounds like a great bday , Thai food and a good book!)

Anonymous said...

Made it for dinner last night...my son and his girl friend come over (every) Thursday...she doesn't eat beef or pork...she/they loved this...thanks!

Big Pissy said...

That looks SOOOOOOOO good! Yum!