Thursday, September 14, 2006

Geeky Thing I Am Excited About...


Today in the mail, these came: a complete set of Childcraft books from 1990 that I got from eBay.

These make me happy for a number of reasons - the first of which is that I had a set of these when I was a child. Mine were way out of date, too (maybe from the early 60's?) - but I loved them. I remember how I would grab a volume, and build myself a nest at the top of the stairs and settle down and pour over it for hours. I was feeling nostalgic about that the other day, when I realized that I was probably about Schecky's age when I fell under the ChildCraft spell. Hmmm - a quick call to my mom informed me that she had given the books away, probably 20 years ago. No worries - that's why eBay was invented...

I stalked various sets for a while - sets of varying completion, various vintage years. The biggest stumbling block for me was the shipping rates! Some sellers were charging $30 and $40 for shipping, a little steep for my blood.

After some serious and somewhat patient (for me!) looking, I found this set - which I got for right at $25. Including shipping. (Yet another thing that makes me happy.)

But the thing that makes me happiest of all? How excited Schecky was when he got home from school and saw them! He immediately selected a volume (#2 - Stories and Poems) and we spent a fantastic hour snuggled up on the couch, reading from "The Wind In the Willows". That was my money's worth, right there...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVED my Childcraft books. I wonder if they're still around somewhere...I'll have to check that out today. You got a steal. I bet the shipping was nearly $25.00.

laura capello said...

Aaron loved his set and still has it. It was missing a couple of books, so he purchased another incomplete set.

But, of course, he's upset that the two sets don't match.