Monday, February 06, 2006

Miscellany from the weekend

Kind of a low-key weekend here. Had some fun plans with friends and co-workers, but ended up canceling pretty much everything because Schecky had a case of the snuffles which led to a nice little fever Saturday afternoon. So we stayed in and hibernated for the rest of the weekend.

Did watch the SuperBowl last night. Well, to be more accurate, I TiVo'ed the SuperBowl, and then fast-forwarded through most of it, slowing down only to watch the commercials, and any interesting looking part. Overall, the commercials were OK - nothing struck me as a great standout this year. Scheck and Bubba loved the careerbuilder.com ads with the monkeys and the jackasses. They also loved the FedEx ad with the dinosaurs and the cavemen, and the Hummer3 ad with the robot and the monster. (Are you sensing a theme here?)

There was nothing that I just loved - although a few came close. I liked the random McDonald's Hamster ad. It was just so odd. Also, thought that several of the Budweiser ads - streaker sheep, magical fridge, and the Clydesdale colt - were cute. Also enjoyed the Pepsi ads, Jay Mohr is such a good sleazy agent - but I have to admit there is nothing about the tagline "brown and bubbly" that appeals to me. (shudder) Although, as far as Pepsi is concerned, I'm such a Diet Coke girl that I couldn't ever imagine changing teams....

I really hated the GoDaddy (not going to even give it a link) ad, and although the costumes in the Burger King ad were impressive, I despise the Burger King. He completely and totally freaks me out. And even though the ad referred to him as "freaky", it's not enough to win me over

Seems like there were a few really mediocre ads - and you've just got to think - "Why?" I mean, $2.5 million is a lot to shell out for something completely boring and unmemorable, BlockBuster!

Did you know that I am not alone in this freakish behavior? Apparently, something like 50% of the audience is more interested in the commercials than the game....

Anyhooo....gone on longer about this than I meant to. Abrupt subject change...

This week coming up is a bear. Got family coming into town, and am working four days this week, as opposed to my usual lazy two. Scheck has a big week too - two big school projects and a special cub sprouts meeting. Life has been so good and lazy as of late that this week is going to come as a shock to the system. It's pretty much all good stuff though, so hopefully that'll make up for the hectic pace of it all.

Still at a standstill on my knitting projects. Really don't want to start anything new until I can get one or the other finished. If my stuff doesn't come in soon, I'll start crabbing and naming names!

In the interim, I've resumed working on a blanket that I've been working on for Scheck for, oh, about 3 years? It's not exciting, but it is reliable.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't watch the Super Bowl last night but saw clips of some of the commercials this morning. I laughed out loud at the streaking sheep. That was hillarious. I can so relate. We always watch for the commercials too. My husband had to work and was very disappointed with me for not watching.